How do I set up an authentication app?
If you don’t want to receive security codes by text or phone call, you can set up an authentication app on your device to generate security codes.
- Choose a device, such as a computer or mobile device (phone or tablet), on which you can install apps.
- Download and install one of the following authentication apps to your device:
- Android options: Google Authenticator, Authy, LastPass, 1Password
- iOS options: Google Authenticator, Authy, LastPass, 1Password
- Windows apps: 1Password, OTP Manager, OneLogin OTP
- Mac apps: 1Password, OTP Manager
- Chrome extensions: SecureAuth OTP, Authenticator
- Open a new browser and sign into your login.gov account at https://secure.login.gov/. NOTE: If you do not have access to the phone you used to create your account, you will need to sign in using your personal key.
- Select “enable” next to Authentication app and follow the instructions to scan or enter a code associating your authentication app with your account.
You will now be able to use the one-time passcodes generated by the application each time you sign in instead of receiving a text message or a phone call. If you are having difficulty setting up the authentication app, you will need to contact the app developer directly for assistance.