Delete your account
There might be different reasons why you need to delete an account:
- You realize you have multiple accounts using different email addresses and you want to have one account
- You are locked out of your account and have lost access to your authentication methods
- You no longer need a Login.gov account
If you delete your account:
- We’ll delete your email address, password, and phone number
- You won’t be able to sign into partner agencies that require a Login.gov account
- You won’t lose your information saved with partner agencies, but you will need to create a new Login.gov account
If you do have access to your authentication methods, follow these steps to delete your account:
- Enter your email address at https://secure.login.gov.
- Enter your password.
- Click the “Sign in” button.
- Authenticate using one of the methods you set up.
- On your account page, select “Delete account” from the menu on the left side of the page
- Select “Delete account” from the “Your account” menu.
- Enter your password to confirm that you want to delete your account.
Follow these steps to delete your account if you do NOT have access to your authentication methods:
As a security measure, Login.gov requires a two-step process and 24 hour waiting period if you have lost access to your authentication methods and need to delete your account.
- Go to your government application sign in page or to https://secure.login.gov/
- Sign in with your email and password
- On the authentication page, click on “Choose another security option”
- Scroll to the bottom and click on the “deleting your account” link
- Read through all the information carefully to make sure deleting your account is your only option
- Click on “Yes, continue deletion”
- You will receive two emails.
- The first email confirms we received your request. Your account is not yet deleted. Additional action is required.
- The second email is sent to you 24 hours later. Follow the directions in that email to complete the deletion process.